What happens if there is a data breach? How can you detect if a data breach is already happening within your company? If you want to know more, then this article is for you.
What Happens if There Is a Data Breach?
If there is a data breach, you need to act quickly. There are several steps you can take to mitigate possible damage, including:
- Check if the data breach is currently happening. A data breach can happen in many different ways. So, you need to check your security systems right away to make sure that they are functioning properly. If they are not, you need to make sure that they are fixed as soon as possible.
- Notify your employees of the data breach as soon as possible. Your employees have a right to know what is going on within the company that employs them. They have a right to know if their personal information has been compromised.
- Make sure that your employees take secure steps to protect themselves after being notified of the security breach.
- If your business is facing a data breach, you may want to hire a data breach attorney who can help you with any legal issues relating to the incident.
What Are the Most Common Sources of Data Breaches?
The most common sources of data breaches include:
- Employee Error. An employee may accidentally send an email with sensitive information in it to someone outside of the company or accidentally delete an email that has sensitive information in it without knowing that it was deleted until it is too late.
- Malware. Malware is software that is specifically designed to steal sensitive information from computers and/or networks without anyone knowing about it until it is too late
- Insider threats. An insider threat happens when someone within your company intentionally steals sensitive information for their gain
- Cyber attacks. A cyber attack is when someone outside of your company attempts to invade your system and steal your sensitive information
- Physical theft. A physical theft occurs when a computer or other device with sensitive information on it is stolen by a person who then takes that information and uses it for their gain
- Unencrypted devices/data storage. If a device or hard drive has not been encrypted, then there is a much greater risk of having a data breach because anyone could access this device without permission
What Can You Do Now?
To avoid all these, you need to encrypt all your devices and data storage. By encrypting your devices and data, you are protecting all of your information, which can help prevent data breaches.
If you need help with encryption, then contact an expert who can help you with this. You can expect that they will ask you for all of your sensitive information before they begin the process of encrypting all your devices and data storage. This way, they can make sure that they are protecting everything that needs to be protected.
To prevent a data breach from happening to your business, you have to take the right steps. If you do not take these steps, then there is a much greater chance that a breach will happen to your business.